Judith A. Livingston
Judith Livingston has long been one of the most successful plaintiff’s attorneys in the United States. Reserved, methodical and precise, Ms. Livingston has been called “A Legal Legend” by Law Dragon and named one of “The 50 most influential women lawyers in America” by New York magazine. She has been a partner at the law firm of Kramer, Dillof, Livingston & Moore since 1989.
Ms. Livingston has won 35 trials with verdicts in excess of $1 million, and has negotiated hundreds of settlements that have resulted in payments to her clients of almost a half-billion dollars. She specializes in medical malpractice and personal injury cases. Ms. Livingston is the current Vice President of the Inner Circle of Advocates, an invitation-only group limited to 100 of the best plaintiff lawyers in the United States who possess exceptional qualifications, are experienced and skillful in the handling of courtroom litigation, and who are respected among their peers. She was the first female, and youngest member invited to be a part of this prestigious organization.
Judith Livingston has the distinction of being named in Best Lawyers magazine for 2011 and 2013 as the New York Medical Malpractice “Lawyer of the Year.” She was cited by the National Law Journal as one of “40 lawyers who have made their mark in the area of health care law,” and she has been listed yearly by New York magazine and Super Lawyers magazine as one of the best lawyers in New York. New York magazine also cited her as one of “the 50 most influential women lawyers in America.” And in every listing since Law Dragon began recognizing the top 500 lawyers in the United States, Ms. Livingston has been selected as one of the country’s top lawyers.
In 2014, Ms. Livingston was honored by both Hofstra University and Fordham University. She received the Presidential Medal from Hofstra University and the Fordham Founder’s Award. The former is awarded to “distinguished persons in recognition of outstanding career achievement and professional leadership.” The latter “recognizes individuals whose personal and professional lives reflect the highest aspirations of the University’s defining traditions, as an institution dedicated to wisdom and learning in the service of others.”
A fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Judith Livingston has participated nationally in lectures and seminars on subjects ranging from trial strategy to women in the courtroom.
Ms. Livingston sits on the Board of Directors of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association. She is a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers; the International Society of Barristers; the Bar Association of the City of New York; the American Association of Justice, and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
From 2006 through 2009, Ms. Livingston was co-president of the Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert (JALBCA.) She continues on the JALBCA Board of Directors, helping to educate women in the fight against breast cancer.
Judith Livingston graduated from The State University of New York, Stony Brook, with high honors; and from Hofstra University School of Law in 1979, where she received a J.D. degree and an Honorary Doctor of Laws in 1998. In 2014, Ms. Livingston gave the Commencement address at Hofstra University School of Law, the second time she was given that honor.
- New York, 1979
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York, J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1979
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York, Honorary Doctor of Laws, 1998
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York, Honorary Degree, 2015
- State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York, B.A., Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude, Honors: With High Honors, 1976
Honors, Awards and Special Recognitions
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Women in Law, Champions of Justice, 2019
- Citizen’s Union: “Gotham Great” Honoree, October, 2017, Gotham Great: “Honoring outstanding leaders who enhance the vitality of New York City.”
- Feerick Center For Social Justice: “Spirit Of Hope Award”, October, 2016, “Honoring individuals who have dedicated themselves to service and justice.”
- Hofstra Law School: “Outstanding Women In The Law” Award, April, 2016
- Hofstra University: Alumnus of The Year, September, 2015
- Fordham University: “Fordham Founder’s Award”, May, 2014, “The highest honor conferred by the University, in recognition of individuals whose personal and professional lives reflect the highest aspirations of the University’s defining traditions, as an institution dedicated to wisdom and learning in the service of others.”
- Hofstra University: “Presidential Medal”, May, 2014, “The highest honor conferred by the University, awarded to distinguished persons in recognition of outstanding career achievement and professional leadership.”
- Brooklyn A Legal Services Corporation: “Champion Of Justice Award”, November, 2010
- United Cerebral Palsy – “Women Who Care” Award, May, 2009
- Best Lawyers®: “Lawyer of The Year”, 2011 and 2013
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 1993 – present
- Hofstra University, “Allan Tod Gittleson Society – Inaugural Member”, June, 2013
- National Law Journal: “Profiles In Power: The 50 Most Influential Women Lawyers”
- LawDragon Magazine, Named one of the “Top 500 Lawyers In The United States” annually since the inception of the listing (from 2007 through 2017)
- LawDragon 500, “The Hall of Fame”, November 2015, “To commemorate the 50 lawyers who have made the Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America each year it has been published.”
- Super Lawyers®, Named one of the top 50 women lawyers in New York annually
- Super Lawyers®, Named one of the top 100 lawyers in New York on an annual basis
- Judges And Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert – “JALBCA” Leadership Achievement Award, May, 2008
- NYSTLA, “Civil Justice Honor 2006 Award”, June, 2006
- United Jewish Appeal – Trial Lawyer’s Division “Outstanding Leadership And Contributions On Behalf of The Legal Community And All Humanity” Award, April, 1996
- Hofstra Law School – Dean’s Award For Distinguished Alumnus, November, 1995
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Inner Circle of Advocates, Vice President, 2020
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Member
- International Society of Barristers, Member
- Bar Association of the City of New York, Member
- American Association of Justice, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer (JALBCA), Board Member and Past President
- New York State Continuing Legal Education Board
- Governor’s Second Judicial Department Screening Commission
- American College of Trial Lawyers, New York Downstate Committee
Location: New York, New York
- Serving all five Boroughs of New York City, Long Island and Westchester County