Thomas A. Moore
Tom Moore is one of the very best trial lawyers in the United States. Many attorneys and clients believe he is the best: he was named the National Law Journal’s “Lawyer of the Year” not just once, but twice. And he has been named to the “Top Ten” list of attorneys in New York multiple times in the last dozen years. In 2014, American Legal Media announced its Medical Malpractice Hall of Fame. Tom had four of the top 25 cases; more than any other attorney. And two of those cases were the second and third largest verdicts in New York history.
He is certainly one of the most successful advocates on behalf of individual plaintiffs, having won 92 trials with verdicts in excess of $1 million – more than any other lawyer. In addition, he has negotiated settlements for his clients in excess of $1 billion.
Moore’s success offsets, but does not mitigate, the obvious sadness of the cases he tries. The large awards are personally satisfying for what they bring to plaintiffs – answers to what really happened and the justice they deserve. The fact that he is able to win 9 times out of 10 is more than significant. Plaintiffs typically win only two out of 10 cases.
Moore’s career encompasses advocacy, research, writing and charitable work. He has funded scholarships at his alma mater, Fordham Law School, and has endowed a chair in Trial Advocacy. In addition, he has worked on behalf of breast cancer victims and sustainable healthcare throughout the world.
He lectures nationally for lawyers’ groups and professional organizations and regularly teaches seminars with students. He writes a regular column for the New York Law Journal with his partner Matt Gaier, and they have authored the leading legal textbooks on medical malpractice and trial practice.
In 2014, Tom received Fordham University’s Founder’s Award, the highest honor conferred by Fordham University. The tribute “recognizes individuals whose personal and professional lives reflect the highest aspirations of the University’s defining traditions, as an institution dedicated to wisdom and learning in the service of others.”
Tom is a member of the Inner Circle of Advocates — an elite group of the top 100 trial attorneys in the country, (Judy Livingston, Tom’s wife and law partner, was the first woman selected for this prestigious group.) Tom is also a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, and he is a member of the International Society of Barristers.
Tom is regularly cited by New York magazine and Super Lawyers magazine as one of the best lawyers in New York. He has been named “Lawyer of the Year” multiple times and he has been included in Super Lawyers’ “Top Ten” lawyers in the New York Metro area.
Tom has been repeatedly included in Lawdragon as one of the Top 500 Lawyers in the country and included in their Hall of Fame. He is listed in the highly respected book The Best Lawyers in America© published by Woodward White. In 2014, he was again recognized in the Irish Legal 100 and by the Gaelic Players Association for his support of education, professional development, and counseling for amateur athletes.
Tom Moore was raised in Waterford, Ireland, and came to America at age 17. He graduated from Catholic University, Washington, D.C., with an S.T.L. degree in 1968, and received his J.D. from Fordham Law School in 1972. He gave Fordham Law School’s Commencement address in 2015.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers®, Named one of the top 10 lawyers in New York – Metro area, 2006, 2008 – 2009, 2011, 2016
- Super Lawyers®, Named one of the top 100 lawyers in New York – Metro area, 2006 – present
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 1989 – present
- Lawyer of the Year, National Law Journal
- Top Ten List of Attorneys, New York
- Medical Malpractice Hall of Fame, American Legal Media, 2014 – Present
- Fordham University’s Founder’s Award, 2014 – Present
- One of the Best Lawyers in New York, New York Magazine
- One of the Best Lawyers in New York, Super Lawyers Magazine
- One of the Top 500 Lawyers in the Country, Lawdragon
- Lawdragon Hall of Fame
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America published by Woodward White, 2014 – Present
- Irish Legal 100, 2014 – Present
- Recognized by Gaelic Player’s Association
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York, J.D., 1972
- Catholic University, Washington, District of Columbia, S.T.L., 1968
- Columnist, New York Law Journal
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Inner Circle of Advocates, Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- International Society of Barristers, Member
- Serving all five Boroughs of New York City, Long Island and Westchester County