Construction work in New York City is never done. When one project ends, there is always a new project pending. In this fast-paced industry, if a construction worker is not properly trained, lacks skills, isn’t provided with proper safety training and/or equipment, or is overworked, construction accidents and fatalities can – and will – happen.NYC Construction Accident
Construction Fatality Statistics
NYCOSH stated that in 2019, “construction deaths accounted for 26 percent of all worker deaths in New York City compared to 19 percent nationwide”. According to the US Department of Labor OSHA statistics, there were 5,333 construction worker fatalities nationwide or about 15 deaths per day in 2019.
Common Causes of Construction Accidents in NYC
The most common causes of accidents and construction worker deaths on New York City construction sites include:
- Falls from scaffolds, ladders, roofs; and/or lack of fall protection
- Struck by falling / non-secure materials or debris
- Trips and falls
- Injuries from building materials due to the lack of protection (such as hard hats, eye protection, etc.,)
- Caught in or between objects
New York Construction Accident and Fatality Representation
An accident or fatality of a construction worker can be life-altering and devastating. If a construction worker suffers from an accident or is killed while on the job, they (or the family of the worker who died) may be entitled to compensation for lost wages, large medical bills, pain and suffering, and much more.
KDLM has a national reputation for representing people who are injured or killed in construction or workplace accidents. Our expert representation includes a combination of accident investigation, including a thorough understanding of construction techniques and construction law, attention to detail, hard work, and aggressive advocacy.
- $25,000,000 for injuries sustained by a 55-year-old Westchester man who suffered a traumatic brain injury when a structure on which he was standing collapsed during a demolition and construction project.
- $3,000,000 for a plumber who was injured after falling off an unstable ladder.
If you, or a loved one, have been injured in a construction accident, contact our New York construction accident attorneys to schedule a consultation to discuss your legal options by calling (212) 618-6800 or contacting us online.